Many people have heard of heel spurs but don’t know exactly what they are. A heel spur is a pointy bone growth that can occur from the heel bone. This often results in pain and tenderness in the bottom of the foot and the heel. Because these symptoms are similar to plantar fasciitis, patients may sometimes misdiagnose their condition. Be sure to check with your doctor if you experience prolonged heel pain.
Some ways that a doctor may suggest you treat heel spurs include:
- Avoiding activities that increase heel pain
- Taking anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen and aspirin
- Applying ice or other types of cold therapy
- Wearing heel cups or other forms of heel pain support that cushion the heel as you walk, such as DonJoy Silicone Heel Cups
- Replacing worn out shoes
- Wearing orthotic shoes
- Participating in physical therapy
Be sure to check with your doctor to determine the appropriate treatment for your condition.